Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My first Hari Raya photoshoot

I can still remember the early days of Hari Raya going visiting with my grandfather, who was once a government official in the welfare department. We went to the houses of VIPs and ministers, eating the wonderful spread of Malay dishes in front of us - lemang, satay, lapis cake, rendang, curries etc. However since I moved to Kuala Lumpur 3 years ago, I have not been to a single Hari Raya open house celebration.

But this year, its refreshingly different. I was invited to shoot for a close knit family in Kelana Jaya. And I had quite a good time with them. I reached their house early - about 9am and proceeded to set up my 'mobile studio'. Yes, my wrists were still giving me some trouble, but I endured it anyway.

The client had a nice garden, so I was glad I came a day before to check out the place and recommend a good spot to shoot the formals. First, a formal shot,

 ... and the informals.

Asking for forgiveness from elders at the start of a new year is always a good thing, I reckon.

 One of the neighbors. I wonder whats running through his mind when I point my big camera at him.

Lovely family. The girl looks very much like her mum !

This bloke is trying eagerly to help his mum with some of the house chores.

 After a while, I managed to convince him to sit down and take some candids.

The relatives came in droves just before noon. Its kinda nice to see them once a year, especially for the elders.

 Like the Chinese, Malays also have their own version of 'angpows', or 'duit raya'. Its mainly given to the younger family members, especially children, or teens who have not been married or don't have a job yet.





 The baby is definitely enjoying the celebrations.


 The guys wanted their share of the fun.

 ...but I didn't leave out the aunties either.



Hope you guys enjoyed this short post. I've definitely enjoyed this years' Hari Raya celebrations. Hopefully there will be more to come in the future.

Cheers !

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online