Saturday, March 06, 2010

Photoshoots: reflections

I had the impression that since I've returned to Kuching, that organising impromptu photo shoots in tertiary institutions won't be a big issue. Of course, I was gravely mistaken, and was booted out of the largest university in sarawak. In other private instutions, such as Swinburne, things are much better. Despite the more bland architecture, it still yields plenty of photographic opportunities.


It was a great opportunity to practice my metering skills and manual mode, and to achieve the blown out highlights in order to lighten the model's skin.

The whole building acts like a 360 degree reflector as light was bounced from all directions, hence filling in the shadows of the model's face. It gives a very airy, atmospheric feeling that I like very much.

This pursuit is not without its attached social stigmas from friends and other concerned parties. It can range from the choice of models, to their make up, clothing and hair despite how technically perfect your images are. I guess in a more modest Malaysian society, adjustments have to be made to cater for this sort of mindset. But for me, I regard them all as superfluous, and will continually strive towards a higher goal that I can only imagine myself being at in the future.

For now, plenty of experimentation is still possible, and I'm glad to share the results with you. I've been also blessed to be able to work with great models on a [very] low budget.

Truth be told, its not easy to organise a shoot even though its done pro bono. Besides the model, several other factors, such as the choice of venue, lighting and weather come into play for a successful shoot. It's hard bringing all those factors together, especially when you don't have any studio equipment and premises at your disposal (not in the near future, at least).

Perhaps I could ease my efforts by working with current industry professionals (such as a hair or make up saloon) to make my chores easier, but until I get the right contacts to start out, I'll still strive to prove my best. I'm tired of the shots that I'm seeing so far from some photographers on facebook which seem very static and uninspired, despite being ''professionals'' in the industry.

For those who think that what I'm doing is a walk in the park, it simply isn't, and there's much more that meets the eye than just the images that you see here. And its hard to explain what you do to the people that matter to you the most (which is what I think at least).

I hope this post gives an insight into my current endeavours. If the world throws at you a bucketful of dirt, give them back a truckload of durians ;)

laters~

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos always look soft and nice,do you always put some sore of filters on your lens while taking photos?

brandon said...

I don't use any filters on my lens. Though it may protect the lens, any filters will degrade the transmission of light, no matter how good it's quality is.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online