Friday, May 09, 2008

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG Macro HSM II


I've been reviewing this lens for a while on the net. It seems to be quite value for money for its wide f2.8 aperture.

Photodo has pretty good opinions about it:

"This is possibly the most desired additional lens type for any SLR owner, reaching out from the top end of the ‘standard’ range to medium telephoto and one that is almost universally offered by all the manufacturers. At a wide-open aperture of f/2.8, this offering from Sigma is competing with the big boys!"

Some people like Ken Rockwell have other opinions, because they will stick to Nikon lenses until they go to their graves:

"If on a budget, I always prefer used Nikon or Canon lenses to anything from Tamron or Sigma. Off-brands look good on paper, but the real measure of a lens are the subtle details inside that you can't see online or at a store. I've not found discount-brand lenses to be bargains, although the better Tokina lenses seem very well made."

Sample photos from Flickr can be very tempting too, I'm just hoping that the lens performs as well as the photo is depicted.

a very cute duck

the lens is labeled macro for a good reason

it seems good for portraits. (by the way, good portrait photographers tell you to not cut off / crop peoples' chins, otherwise this picture is very good)

Note: all these photos are from Flickr and not my own

My humble conclusions: Is this the most desired additional lens type for any SLR owner? I have to borrow and try one for myself. Unfortunately, its most probably not going to happen, because I do not know anyone using this lens for olympus SLRs at the moment. Most are for Canon / Nikon.

My other choice would be a Zuiko 50-200mm SWD...


but that will be for another time...

Until then... Peace!



1 Comment:

The cup half empty, even when it's full said...

I just reccently purchased this, of camera's direct. Not only was it for a awesome price. But it performs really well. However, the full potential of this lens isn't going to be utilised untill I make a better upgrade from my current e-420. Especially without the IS. But overall it's fantastic, especially with constant f 2.8. The only downside I can say is that, It does tend to go "fuzzy" at 200, but itisnt that bad. IS could've also been included.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online